Thursday, May 19, 2011

Gingrich HQ, Day 5: "Who Are You Going To Believe, Me Or Your Lying Eyes & Ears?"

Day 5 of the Gingrich presidential campaign, and it's beginning to look like a case of crib death for the former Speaker's chances. Today the Newt declared that if you see any report of him condemming the Paul Ryan Medicare-killing budget plan, don't believe what he said on Sunday, believe what he's saying right now!

Making the obligatory pilgrimage to the Throne of Rush Limbaugh, Newt claimed that he never mentioned Paul Ryan while talking about Paul Ryan's budget plan:

via TPM:
Gingrich to Limbaugh: "It's very straightforward. It's when the government comes in and tells you how to live your life and what you're gonna do -- whether the values that lead it to do that are left-wing values, or the values that lead it to do that are right-wing values," said Gingrich. "I believe in personal freedom. I believe in your right to lead your life. I believe that we are endowed by the Declaration of Independence, by our Creator, with the right to pursue happiness. And I want a government that is much more humble about its ability to tell you what to do, whether it's people on either side of the ideological spectrum.

"And by the way, it was not a reference to Paul Ryan. There was no reference to Paul Ryan in that answer."

To which Limbaugh asked: "Well then what did you apologize to him about?"

"Because it was interpreted in a way, which was causing trouble, which he doesn't need or deserve. And it was causing the House Republicans trouble," said Gingrich. "One of my closest friends, somebody I truly, deeply respect, e-mailed me and said 'Your answer hits every Republican who voted for the budget.'"

"Well, my answer wasn't about the budget. And I promptly went back and said publicly, and I continue to say, I would have voted for the Ryan budget. I think it's a very important step in the right direction, and I have consistently said that from the time that Paul first briefed me on it weeks before he introduced it. And I've been talking with Paul Ryan about budget matters for the last four years."

So why did he apologize to Ryan?  Uhhh...because he criticized Ryan's anti-Medicare plan?

Then later, Gingrich said Tuesday on Faux that "any (Democratic) ad which quotes what I said on Sunday is a falsehood." Here's the clip, from Hardball:




As Bugs would say, "whatta maroon!"

No comments: